Monday, October 30, 2006

Post Partum Hair Loss and Sisterlocks

I have so much to share about my hair since my last post many moons ago. I had my locks maintained a couple of months after I had my son and I noticed that the base of my locks were thinning - horror!! The next appointment was just as horrifing and it looked like some of the locks in the front sides and parts of the back were haning by just a few strands of hair. One evening I lost my mind for a spell and started snipping away at some of the thinning locks. I couldn't stand the sight of a thick lock hanging from a skinny base. You'll be glad to know that I came to my senses before I took off 25% of my hair. My husband was also there to remind me about how much getting SL's cost and to banish all thoughts of destroying my hair : )

My SL consultant did combine some of the locks so it's not as bad anymore. I am still a little traumatized by the whole experience.

Has anyone had a similar experience with their hair after the birth of a child. Any advise on what to do? Help!!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Amba said...

Hey Funmi,
I haven't looked at your blog for ages and I love the progress. Those locks are coming along... In answer to your query about pregnancy and sisterlocks thinning, I can tell you I experienced just that after the birth of my last born Nina, who is 1.5 now.(born April 2005) It was really alarming and I was terrified at first but with time it settled. I advise that you be really careful about regular retightenings for a while as the longer you leave it, the more fragile your hair becomes. My mother in law also told me that pregnancy and nursing(breastfeeding) really drain the body of nutrients so I'd advise a supplement if your doctor allows. Hope this helps. Amba

10:37 PM  
Blogger Funlayo said...

Amba, thanks so much for your response. I should have stayed on my supplements after I had the baby, but you know how that goes ... just couldn't get back in the habit. I have been nursing and will be closing that chapter in a few weeks when he turns 12 months. It is comforting to know that my hair will stop thinning. I guess this is another one of the many sacrifices we women make for our children :)

11:14 PM  
Blogger Stanley Rich said...

I myself had experience some degree of hair loss since my twenties, but i blame it more on the fact that gene is one of the contributing factor. My Father and Grand Pa is bald which is the reason why i am involuntarily headed to that direction too. But i recently found something that helped me keep whats left of my hair and possibly made my hair stronger.

I tried a lot of products and techniques known to regrow hair but with no success. To read my full story, http://hairsurvival.blogspot.com

11:18 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I’m a 28 year old male of singapore and have been worried with my hair loss for years. I have light skin and dark straight hair but when i listen about IHT-9, the herbal hair regrowth shampoo, i think that i should try this also. After using it my hair starts growing. IHT-9 is really a surprise gift for me..Thanks to IHT-9 Herbal Hair Shampoo. Now im using IHT-9 only, i have stopped all my other treatments.: Get 10% Discount. Enter 7DSVEJ when you make a purchase!

2:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home