Friday, January 04, 2008

Finding the Cure for Adult Acne - My 16 week journey to Beautiful Skin

One of my goals for this year is to find a solution to my recurring acne problem. This problem seems to be getting worse every month regardless of what I try. I drink lots of water, exercise and wash my face twice a day. I use a great cleanser, toner and moisturizer. What else is a woman supposed to do to keep from getting break-outs? Acne is caused by bacteria living in the skin and can also be caused by hormonal changes. I suspect my problem is a combination of the two factors.
Enter Marsha Jackson, Aesthetician extraordinaire with The Edge on Central Salon and Spa. I visited Marsha at the salon last summer and was impressed with her wealth of knowledge on skincare especially troubled skin like mine. Now Marsha has beautiful skin, so when she told me she had spent most of her life battling acne, I was surprised. It's always good to know you are working with someone who can empathize with your problems.
An incident that occurred over the holidays convinced me that I needed to see Marsha again and get some real help for my skin. Marsha took one look at my face during my visit yesterday and concluded that I needed Beta Peel and a more aggressive skincare regiment to really get rid of the acne. A beta peel is a formulation of salicylic acid that that gently exfoliates the dead cells on the surface of the skin, stimulating the skin's natural processes to promote regeneration and renewal of the skin, promoting a more youthful appearance.

I am on a 16 week program that is guaranteed to bring about some dramatic changes to my skin. In addition to the break outs, I have dark spots or hyper-pigmentation especially on my cheeks. Hyper-pigmentation is a common problem with women of color after an outbreak. I will be taking photos every week so you can keep up with my progress. Embarking on this new skincare regiment is not cheap, but it’s going to be worth it if I get the results I am hoping for.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger V @ Locks-N-Motion said...

I'm interested in the updates. I have always had problems with acne, however since I been drinking so much water the past few months, it has really cleared up my acne, I just have problems with the spots that my acne has left behind. Not really sure what to use to get rid of the dark spots. I will be following this story to see the outcome. I hope that it works for you. Take Care
V

9:13 AM  
Blogger Helga said...

OMG I am so feeling this post. I can count on one hand how many pimples I had during my teenage years, but now I also find that I am having to deal with adult acne. My daughter actually told me to buy Proactive (she is only 6!). I also get the darkened pigment on my cheeks, which I thought was due to my constant aggravation of the blemishes. I too purchased a product with salicylic acid and I do notice a difference already. Good luck with this, and I will be watching the transformation.

1:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to your updates. I visited a dermatologist a while back about my acne and she stated I had slight eczema. When I'm stressed it's 100 times worse too. I'm in search of an all natural method to help my skin. I'm currently using Nature's Gate Acne Treatment...
Good Luck.

11:02 AM  
Blogger niquec30 said...

Try benzaclin cream and doryx pills. It's prescribed by your dermatologist. Doryx is a tetracycline antibiotic used to treat bacterial infections. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor. It is not effective for treating infections caused by viruses. It has worked for me.

2:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home